Caymus Vineyards was founded in 1972 by Charles F. (Charlie) Wagner, Lorna Belle Glos Wagner and their son Charles J. (Chuck) Wagner on the family's Rutherford property. The Wagners produced their first Cabernet Sauvignon from the 1972 vintage. Their first Special Selection - from outstanding Cabernet Sauvignon lots given extended barrel aging - was made from the 1975 vintage. Caymus has made Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon every year since its founding and production has remained at the same level since the 1989 vintage.
The Wagners took the name Caymus from the Mexican land grant known as Rancho Caymus, given to George Yount in 1836, which included what eventually became the town of Rutherford and much of the surrounding area. (Caymus was also the name of a subgroup of Mishewal-Wappo Indians whose village was north of what is now the town of Yountville.)