Up until the fifties, nearly all of the farms in the Mantuan plain devoted considerable space to the growing of vines. The producers established seven cooperative organizations for the operation of as many wineries in the period beginning in 1902 and ending in 1958. In the fifties and sixties, the areas once devoted to vines were progressively reconverted.
Cultivation was emphasized between the Oglio and the left bank of the Po as well as in the Oltrep Mantovano. Those two areas are now the production zone of Lambrusco Mantovano, which recently joined the ranks of Denominazione di Origine Controllata wines.