About the winery
In 1750, Don Antonio de Ayala y Vergara, a Spanish aristocrat, was appointed Chancelor (Finance Minister) of New Grenada (now Colombia) by King Ferdinand VI of Spain. His son signs peace with Simon Bolivar. His grandson comes to France as the Consul of Colombia.
Then comes Edmond de Ayala (1831-1902), who is invited to Champagne by the Viscount of Mareuil to learn the business. He falls in love with the Viscount's niece, the beautiful Miss Gabrielle d'Albrecht.
As the dowry for their wedding in 1860, he receives the magnificent Château of Aÿ as well as some very prime vineyards located in Aÿ and Mareuil sur Aÿ.
This love story is also the beginning of a prestigious champagne house : Ayala develops rapidly in Great Britain thanks to Edmond's brother who was based in London.
In 1882, Ayala was one of the 18 founder members of the Syndicate of the Grandes Marques. Before the 2nd world war, Ayala was the supplier for the courts of Great Britain and Spain.
In 2005, Ayala is purchased by Société Jacques Bollinger, still owned by the Bollinger family.