A fourth generation family business of winery owners and viticulturists, Bodegas Escudero began in 1852. Our great-grandfather, Juan Escudero, began to elaborate wines in a wine cellar carved into a mountain with a stone wine press and six oak casks of 250 cántaras, each with the approximate capacity of 24,000 litres. His ancestors had been cultivating the vines. The elaborated wines were sold in wineskins (a cask made from the skin of a goat and tar) to the small towns of the Sierra de la Demanda ó Cameros Viejos enjoying much prestige among these towns. The elaboration of cava, however, is more recent. Benito Escudero (present owner of the winery) began to elaborate the first bottles of cava that now constitutes one of the most important products of our winery.