The Château Fougas, vineyard Bechet, is one of the oldest properties in the area, the land once belonging to the Priory of Bellegarde. An eighteenth century water colour shows the French wine vineyard comprising a single holding with the château at its centre, a situation which continues to this day. A fine chateau was constructed in 1778 which stands to remind us of this glorious past.
The name Maldoror pays homage to the ''Songs of Maldoror'' by Lautréamont. The first edition was published in Bordeaux by Parfum de l'âme (Perfume of the soul).
Jean-Yves Béchet is the son of a Bordeaux wine merchant. During his childhood French wine was at the centre of his daily life and it soon became his passion.
From 1982, Jean Yves Béchet has devoted all of his time and attention to vineyards Bechet and French wine production.
To create a great wine is a little like the quest for the philosopher's stone. It is something with which one can fall in love and become a vocation. Making a great French wine is about striving to get the best out of a particular terroir. At Château Fougas, the terroir is such that all we have to do is to let it express itself freely.