The old bodega in Lerga. It was founded in 1941 by a group of 53 members who owned a total of 90 hectares and who decided to set up a co-operative. Each member contributed their hectares and the relevant kilograms of grapes. The share capital was 150,000 pesetas and each member had to pay a fee of 20 pesetas for each “robada” (about 9 acres) they owned. The bodega initially had a capacity of 220,000 litres.
The average grape production per “robada” was 235 kg and the grapes fetched around 30 pesetas/kg at the time.