About the winery
The history of wine-making in Chablis goes back to 865 AD with the development of vineyards by the monks of Saint-Martin-de-Tours on slopes facing the Serein River that cuts through that village. At that time and for the centuries that followed, the Chablis wine trade grew substantially thanks to the waterways that made it possible to supply Paris from Auxerre.
With the French Revolution, estates changed hands but remained successful, and the total vineyard surface area reached 38,000 hectares. The end of the 19th century saw the coming of phylloxera in 1887, which wreaked havoc and reduced the vineyards to almost nothing.
It was only at the beginning of the 1960s, when the Chablis vineyard surface area was less than 1,000 hectares, that Chablis wine production took off again with the growth of mechanization and setting up of anti-frost systems (another plague for the vines of the region). The current productive vineyard surface area is 4,580 hectares.
The success that Chablis has enjoyed over the centuries relies on the particularity of these vineyards that are located in a semi-continental climatic zone marked by strong temperature fluctuations. But above all else, the key to this success is the marriage between Chardonnay, one of the most noble of all grape varieties, and the Kimmeridgian subsoil, making the terroir of Chablis one-of-a-kind, all of which amplifies the characteristics of Chardonnay. Wedding richness and minerality, the wines express themselves in four appellations : Petit Chablis (650ha), Chablis (3,055ha), Chablis Premier Cru (775ha), and Chablis Grand Cru (100ha).