About the winery
Weingut Robert Weil was founded in 1875 amidst fortuitous circumstances. The founder, Dr. Robert Weil, was a professor of German at the Sorbonne but was forced to leave Paris because of the pending Franco-Prussian War (1870/1871). His decision to work as a journalist in Wiesbaden, not far from the Rheingau, was doubtlessly influenced by the fact that his brother August was the minister and choir director of the parish church in Kiedrich. Dr. Weil purchased his first vineyards in Kiedrich, and he moved there in 1875, when he bought the estate manor from the heirs of Sir John Sutton, an English baronet.
Sutton was from a wealthy, old aristocratic family in Lincolnshire county. He came to Kiedrich in 1857, fell in love with the village, and became its greatest patron in the years thereafter. In addition to establishing social and charitable institutions, he strived to restore elements of Kiedrich’s Gothic heritage by funding the renovation of the church, which has one of Germany’s oldest organs. He also set up a foundation to maintain its choir, famous to this day for its German rendition of Gregorian chants.
When he moved to Kiedrich, Dr. Robert Weil decided to expand his small vineyard holdings into a wine estate. A man of vision, he built up the estate by purchasing the property of two local wine estates and additional vineyards from the Count of Fürstenberg. Today the estate is managed with the same spirit of enterprise by the fourth generation of the founding family.