Presentation of the winery Situation
The vineyard of château Macay is situated in Samonac in the heart of the appellation Côtes de Bourg at 30 Km from Bordeaux, on the Right Bank of Gironde estuary. Macay name comes from the patronymic of a Scottish officer « Mac Kay ». In 1850, this property was with its 7 adjacent farms a real wine village with its cellar on two floors, its cooper’s trade surmounted by a tower. The “Forge de Macay” was in the past the central point of the property. We repaired plows and agricultural tools shod horses and cattle. Climate
Being so close from the Atlantic and the Estuary, the vineyards of Château Macay have the benefit of a moderate climate. These climate conditions already good for the vineyard are even more favourable on the south-south east hills of Macay. They are indeed protected from the « west winds »and the benefit of the heat during the day therefore maintained. Château Macay in numbers
• Area: 42 hectares (1 hectare is roughly 2.47 acres) from which 28 hectares are in production.
• Production: 200 000 bottles / year
• Yield: 50 hl/ha.
• Grape Varieties:
- Merlot (round, fruity, rich): 65%
- Cabernet Franc (fruity, elegant, complex): 15%
- Cabernet Sauvignon (powerful, fine well-constituted): 10%
- Malbec (coloured, tannic, full): 10%
• Average age: 35 years old.