Author Archives: jack
The different web pages of Vinogusto.com are scored between 94 and 99 by the YSlow Yahoo tool. Again for the geeks, I provide below a summary of optimizations made the last days:
* The tools used to observe and to improve performances are first the pear timer library (code execution stopwatch with indicators placed in the application – http://pear.php.net/package/Benchmark), and then, the firefox plugin YSlow from Yahoo (Quality evaluation of the application at browser level, through 13 criteria. Cf http://developer.yahoo.com/yslow/).
* We’ve applied Minify (and concatenation to reduce the number of http requests) to all included files (JS + CSS), using the google minify code (http://code.google.com/p/minify/)
* We’ve implemented a domain alias (http://asset1.vinogusto.com : a CDN – Content delivery network) to allow the browser to carry out more simultaneous requests and, in the future, foresee a dedicated server for the static content
* We enabled compression of the text contents by the configuration of the gzip deflate module on apache (for the html, css & js content). It allows an important saving of the bandwidth (between 50% and 80% of saved size out pictures), and so, a faster delivery of the pages to your browser
* I also configured the expiration headers and disabled the ‘etags’ in order to allow a better usage of the browser’s cache
* All this is based on xhtml (transitional) code that validates (for most of the pages ; -) (http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vinogusto.com%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&ss=1&outline=1&group=0&No200=1&verbose=1)